A sweary—and expertly punctuated—weblog.

Sunday, December 13, 2009

Since it's Christmas...

Christmas is less than two weeks away, and I have nothing to post about it. Neither news article nor dinosaur comic has inspired me to write, and none of my own Christmas-related thoughts is insightful enough to share. But I love Christmastime too much to let it pass without a mention. As I said last year, I'm convinced that--despite the garish, over-hawked kitsch flowing freely over the festivities--Christmas brings out the best in people. So, lest the season go unheeded, let me share two small items:

1. Christmas music might be my favorite part of the season, and I've spent the last week or so fine-tuning the ultimate Pandora Christmas station. The very worst Christmas music is ostentatious and diva-driven; the very best is still, solemn, and beautiful. In an effort to sift out the chaff, I've seeded the station with a choice blend of 'classical' and contemporary music. I dare you to judge my choices. This year's newfound gem is the warm, hearthy choral work of Vaughan Williams. Although an agnostic, he was devoted to spreading Christmas cheer, writing a fantasia on Christmas carols alongside a ballet score for Dickens' "A Christmas Carol". Listen and enjoy, I entreat you.

2. My wife and I can't stomach the idea of Christmas at 75 degrees. So, instead of staying in Texas, we've arranged to be here on Christmas eve. A prediction: best Christmas ever.

7 comments:

g said...

luckyyyyyy!

Tyler Pulsipher said...

I think you got it mixed up. Despite having little or no non-vocal talent, Mariah Carie does a great Christmas. I didn't make to your favorite song on your station, but some of it was great and some of it was just putrid-I can't believe one person created that statition; it is all over the place. Have a Merry Christmas in Dunblane! (Or is that Dumblane-you have only yourself to blame for that one)

Unknown said...

I would say I'm jealous of your Christmas in Scotland, but I'd much rather be with my family this year. I hope it's an awesome trip, though!

Matt said...

Puls: I'm forced to disagree and argue that you have it backwards. I grudgingly admit that Mariah Carey is quite proficient technically--her vocal range is astoundingly wide, for example--but she hasn't got a shred of style or artistry.

Regarding the station, it WAS seeded for classical/modern diversity, trying to get a good mix of traditional music and modern interpretations. I've also spent time thumbsing-up and -down (Bach yes, Handel no; Sufjan Stevens yes, Death Cab no). But Pandora is always trying to show you new stuff, and sometimes it guesses wrong. Probably that explains much of the putrescence.

Marie said...

I was going to say: I am enjoying Sufjan Holiday on Pandora. Good stuff. Can't really go wrong.
And also: Are you guys really going to Dunblane?! That is so awesome. Can I go too???

Have fun!

Matt "Hacksaw" said...

I like Mariah Carey, but mostly for her Christmas Album. One new Christmas gem that I discovered that you may have heard of is Candlelight Carol, I think by John Rutter. We sang it for our ward Christmas program and it is just great. Merry Christmas in Scotland!

p.s. I have not tried out your station yet, but I will. Soon.

Matt said...

Marie: Yes. We're spending the week or so of Christmas in Scotland. You may not come along.

Saw: I've heard a lot of John Rutter this year, and he's great for Christmas music. I don't know if I've heard the song you mention, but if I did I probably liked it...

Post a Comment